JOHANNESBURG – A 22-year-old man accused of the rape and sexual assault of at least 20 pupils at Parktown Boys’ High School is set to appear in the Johannesburg magistrates court on Tuesday where the State is expected to apply for the case to be transferred to the High Court.
The former assistant water polo coach’s alleged crimes came to light after he was caught on the school’s CCTV camera allegedly fondling a 15-year-old pupil in November last year.
He was arrested that night and later released on R3,000 bail.
He has also since resigned from his position.
The defence in the case has questioned the legality of a search conducted at the accused’s Roodepoort home.
Defence attorney Clinton Symes told the court that police searched the accused’s home, which he shares with his uncle, without him being there.
Symes says that according to the law, the man, his legal team and his uncle